Engine of the North (EotN) is promoting a new residential and community development, known as North Cheshire Garden Village (NCGV). You may have previously heard about the site as North Cheshire Growth Village.
The site, on the eastern edge of Handforth, is being actively promoted as a strategic site in the submission version of the Local Plan. EotN want it to establish a new, innovative approach to residential development creating sustainable communities in a quality environment. The ultimate design standards of any new development will be informed by a Design Code, to ensure the highest possible quality development. As a first step, we’ve commissioned Hemingway Design, led by acclaimed designer Wayne Hemingway, to create a ‘vision’ document for the village. We are seeking to engage with local residents and community groups to give us their views on what kind of development North Cheshire Garden Village could be. The ‘vision’ document will then form the basis of the Design Code.
Our initial concepts are contained in more detail in this website. We believe the benefits of this village could be:
- By creating a new village, we can also bring improved facilities and community infrastructure to the area. Schools, health facilities, nurseries, community centres, play areas and sports facilities available to everyone.
- Providing space for new businesses, including shops and cafes. This will help to create job opportunities in the area within a sustainable environment
- Supporting all ages and all backgrounds, by providing starter homes, family homes, retirement and older person’s homes.
- A sustainable community with enhanced transport links and with space for trees, planting and landscaping.
- By building this community, we can take the pressure off other towns and villages locally , which could otherwise face ‘infill’ and over development
- A piecemeal approach to development would also prevent the opportunity to bring forward significant improvements to infrastructure and community facilities which are proposed within this scheme.
EotN really want to know what your views and contributions are to the scheme. Please take the time to answer the brief questionnaire, which also has space for your further comments. Alternatively you can email your comments to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org